Americans Of Jewish Descent
You are currently anonymous Log In


Matches 1 to 50 of 81

      1 2 Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
1 "a christian woman" (nee Unknown) (I342)
2 "Benjamin became a settler of Newport, Rhode Island." Levy, Benjamin (I414)
3 "Captain, USN", 1910 Bank Cashier Moses, Captain William Moultrie Jr., U. S. N. (I221)
4 "Esther went to Philadelphia to live with her brothers Samson and Joseph when her mother died." Levy, Esther (I407)
5 "Goldsmith and Silversmith" He was made freeman of New York on 29 Apr 1745/6.
"Myer Myers: Jewish Silversmith in Colonial New York"
2002-02-24 until 2002-05-26
Skirball Cultural Center 
Los Angeles, CA, USA United States of America
An exhibition of the work of Myer Myers (1723-1795), one of the most accomplished craftsmen working in pre-industrial America, will be on view at the Skirball Cultural Center from February 24 to May 26, 2002. Organized by Yale University Art Gallery, Myer Myers: Jewish Silversmith in Colonial New York features 104 silver and gold objects created by Myers as well as close to 50 other objects that help place him in the context of the tumultuous political, economic, social, and religious life of New York in the second half of the eighteenth century. Upon its opening at Yale in September, the exhibition was acclaimed by the New York Times as the first large museum exhibition on Myers in nearly 50 years . . . offer[ing] voluminous insights into Myers's silver work and his life.
While Myers is not nearly as well known as Paul Revere, who worked in Boston, Myers, like Revere, is counted among a select group of highly respected merchant-artisans of the time. His work is found in major museum collections including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, and Harvard University Art Galleries.
The exhibition was organized by David L. Barquist, associate curator of American decorative arts at Yale, who also wrote the catalogue. Following its showing at the Skirball, Myer Myers: Jewish Silversmith in Colonial New York will travel to the Henry Francis du Pont Winterthur Museum in Delaware from June 20 to September 13, 2002. The Skirball presentation includes a series of related events including a lecture by Dr. Barquist on Friday, February 22, at 1:00 p.m.
Myers was the most productive silversmith working in New York during the late Colonial period and his ritual and secular silver is the largest body of extant work by a Jewish silversmith from anywhere in Europe or America prior to the nineteenth century. He became the dominant figure in a large, well-established community of silversmiths that included native craftsmen of Dutch, Huguenot, and English ancestry, as well as immigrants from Europe. His renown as an artisan came from his ability to execute superb custom order work for the wealthiest patrons. His New York workshop was, in the third quarter of the eighteenth century, one of the few that supplied such labor-intensive, richly ornamented forms as candlesticks, pierced bread baskets, covered jugs, and cruet stands, and alone in the production of such specialized work as Torah finials. Myers?s output was not, however, confined to these style-conscious forms. From the mid-1750s his shop generated a steady income by satisfying the demand for more modest forms of hollowware and flatware from a larger, less affluent clientele.
Myers's success as a silversmith, Dr. Barquist points out, was the result of his talents not only as a craftsman but also as an entrepreneur who marshaled the skills of other craftsmen and specialists.
In addition to the objects created by Myers, the exhibition features silver and gold objects by some of his contemporaries as well as painted portraits of his patrons, manuscripts, books, maps, and other works on paper. A major component of the exhibition explores Myers's stylistic development and the ways his patrons, represented by their portraits, influenced the forms and styles of his work. Another section surveys the Jewish communities of New York, Philadelphia, and Newport, Rhode Island, to which Myers was connected through the kinship network of his own family. The organization of the silversmith?s trade in eighteenth-century New York is examined in a another section. Here such issues as apprenticeship, the specialist craftsmen working in Myers's shop, his competitors, and commissions versus ready sale are considered and objects made in England and America are compared.
Myer Myers was born in New York City in 1723, the son of Solomon and Judith Myers. The family lived one block away from Shearith Israel's synagogue on Mill Street, where Solomon, and later his sons, were active members of the congregation and where many of the most useful documentary records of Myers's life can be found. After the traditional seven-year apprenticeship with a master silversmith, he registered as a Goldsmith in 1746, the first native Jew within the British Empire to establish himself as a working retail silversmith since the incorporation of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths in 1327. Myers had set himself up as an independent maker by 1753, a time when the leading merchants in New York, where the British army in North America was headquartered, made fortunes supplying the soldiers during England's wars with Spain and France in the 1740s and, later, the Seven Years' War.
An advantageous marriage to Elkaleh Myers Cohen, the daughter of a wealthy merchant in the transatlantic trade, and a partnership with Benjamin Halsted expanded Myers's connections and his business thrived. His patrons for the Rococo style objects he began producing in the mid-1750s included political, military, financial, and social leaders, among them the Reverend Samuel Johnson, a graduate of Yale (class of 1714) and the founding president of King's College, now Columbia University. Tories such as he were by no means Myers's only fashionable patrons; the Whig Livingston family, of enormous wealth and influence, also commissioned a large number of pieces and shaped the silversmith's style. During the late 1760s and the 1770s Myers created the magnificent Torah finials, or rimonim, four pairs of which are in the exhibition.
Myers's Torah finials are unique examples of eighteenth-century American Jewish silver, writes Dr. Barquist. They are also among the most extraordinary precious-metal objects produced in Colonial America. It was in these years that Myers's most significant commissions came from Samuel Cornell, a successful West Indies merchant and landowner, and his wife Susannah Mabson. Among them were a dish ring and bottle stands that are the only extant Colonial American examples of these forms, as well as other rare examples of pierced silver in the Rococo style.
The summer of 1776 brought Myers's activities as a silversmith and entrepreneur to an abrupt halt. George Washington had made New York his headquarters and British troops besieged the city. Myers and Joyce Mears, his second wife his first having died and six dependent children moved with other Jewish families to Norwalk, Connecticut, on the mistaken assumption that the enemy, as Samson Mears, Myers's brother-in-law observed, will have greater objects to attend to than this insignificant place. In July 1779 a British force attacked and burned the town leaving the residents homeless and Myers without his tools. The family settled in Stratford, Connecticut for the remainder of the Revolutionary War years and, despite his losses, it is evident from extant objects that Myers continued to work as a silversmith.
The war has served historians as the point of demarcation between the Rococo of the Colonial period and the Neoclassical style of the new Republic and Myers's workshop adopted the new aesthetic. Though not as successful in business after the war, it is clear that his peers held him in high regard, electing him chairman of the newly formed Gold and Silver Smith?s Society in 1785. He remained a leader in the Jewish community and was active in the affairs of the Shearith Israel congregation until his death at the age of seventy-two in 1795. 
Myers, Myer (I374)
6 "he had become a freeman of New York on 7 Nov 1752." Levy, Joseph (I416)
7 "He met with financial reverses in London and was declared bankrupt in 1732." Levy, Asher (I397)
8 "He was a New York merchant and part owner of the brig Prince Frederick." Levy, Michael (I403)
9 "In NY 1708: Made a freeman 22 Feb 1713" Hart, Moses (I428)
10 "Isaac was a merchant in New York, Boston, and Philadelphia"

Page 231.-I, ISAAC LEVY, of New York, do declare this to be my last will and testament. All my real estate of every kind and Denomination shall at my decease become the property of my son Asher and my daughter Esther, otherwise called Henrietta, as also my personal estate to both the same, " both borne of Elizabeth Pue," equally divided between them at the times they respectively become of age, on conditions hereafter mentioned. In case of the death of either my said son or daughter before aged twenty-one, I give my estate to the survivor, if both die before of age then to my brother, Samson Levy, and my sister, Rachel Seixas, wife of Isaac Seixas, equally. My will is that neither my son nor daughter shall marry or enter into matrimonial contract before the age of twenty-one years, but if either so do he or she shall have no share in my estate, but the share of he or she that doth marry or enter into matrimonial contract shall be given to the other that doth not marry contrary to my will; and if both marry or enter into matrimonial contract before twenty-one then I give my whole estate to my brother, Samson Levy, and my sister, Rachel Seixas. My executors are my said brother, Samson Levy, his son Moses, and my son Asher.
Dated October 22, 1776. Witnesses, Walter Shee, Benja Condy, Edmund Nihell. The Register for Probate of Wills, Philadelphia. Certified November 8, 1785, that the above will was a true copy from the original filed in the office at Philadelphia. Administration on the above granted to Joshua Isaacs, of the City of New York, a creditor of Isaac Levy, formerly of the same place but late of tho City of Philadelphia, merchant, deceased, whereas the executors, Samson Levy, Moses Levy and Asher Levy are absent from this State, New York, November 16, 1785. 
Levy, Isaac (I400)
11 "Jacob was a sucessful NY merchant" Franks, Jacob (I396)
12 "Moved to Montgomery with his younger brother Alfred before the Civil War. Joseph became an attorney and was head of the Montgomery public school system at the time of his death."

CASES ABGUED AND DETERMINED IN THE ^ ^ SUPREME COURT OF ALABAMA, DURING DECEMBER TERM, 1877. JOHN \\V. A. SANFORD, SPECIAL REPOBTEE. VOL. LIX. MONTGOMERY, ALA. : PUBLISHED BY JOEL WHITE, 1879. ENTERED, according to Act of Congress, in the year 1879, by JOEL WHITE, In the office of the Librarian of Congress, at Washington, D. C. HUNTED BT H. r. SCRKWS, MONTGOMERY, ALA. OFFICERS OF THE COURT DURING THE TIME OF THESE DECISIONS. ROBERT C. BRICKELL, CHIEF JUSTICE, IluntsvilU, Ala. AMOS R. MANNING, ASSOCIATE JUSTICE, Mobile, Ala. GEORGE W. STONE, ASSOCIATE JUSTICE, Montgomery, Ahi. JOHN W. A. SANFORD, ATTORNEY GENERAL, Montgomery, Ala. THOMA&J. RUTLEDGE, CLERK, Montgomery, Ala. JUNIUS M. RIGGS, MARSHAL, Montgomery, Ala. TRIBUTE OF RESPECT TO JOSEPH WINTHROP MOSES. AT a meeting of the Bar of the City of Montgomery, held at the court- house, on Friday, December 21st, 1877, on motion of Gen. J. T. Holtzclaw, Major Henry C. Semple was called to the chair, and Thomas H. Watts, Jr., was requested to act as secretary. The chairman having explained the object of the meeting, on motion of Capt. F. S. Ferguson, a committee, consisting of F. S. Ferguson, W. L. Bragg, J. T. Holtzclaw, Thomas G. Jones, and P. T. Sayre, was appointed to prepare resolutions expressive of the grief of the Bar, caused by the death of Joseph Winthrop Moses. The committee, through its chairman, reported the following resolutions, which were unanimously adopted, viz.: Resolved, That the members of the Bar of Montgomery have heard with deep sorrow of the death of their esteemed brother, Joseph Winthrop Moses, and by it have sustained a loss which is well-nigh irreparable. Resolved, That his character as a man and as a lawyer was above reproach ; his learning extensive and accurate ; his literary attainments varied and brilliant; and his conduct while living sueh as to command respect, win admiration, and attract affection; and that we will ever pre- serve the memory of his virtues and excellences as a precious legacy. Resolved, That, in his life, so true to every obligation, so pure in every act, so gentle in every sentiment, youth has a most beautiful example, and age has something to cause it to renew its trust in humanity. Resolved, That we deeply sympathize with the relatives of our deceased brother, and pray that God will have them in His merciful keeping. Resolved, That the Attorney-General present these resolutions to the Supreme Court, the Solicitor to the Circuit Court, and the chairman of the meeting to the United States Court, and request that they be entered on the minutes of those courts. Resolved, That the proceedings of this meeting be published in the city papers, and a copy of these resolutions be sent to the relatives of the deceased. Resolved, That the members of the Bar, as a body, attend the funeral of tllG HENRY C. SEMPLE, Chairman. THOS. H. WATTS, JR., Secretary. On the 4th day of February, 1878, the resolutions were presented to the- Supreme Court, by Attorney-General John W. A. Sanfofcd, who said : vi TRIBUTE OF RESPECT TO May it please the Court : A short time ago, a long, black, slowly moving line crept through the streets of Montgomery and rested in the cemetery. It was the funeral pro- cession of Joseph Winthrop Moses. He died in the noon of manhood, but his physical conformation was so unimpaired by vice or disease that it seemed as if with him, life's morning sunlight was still upon .the hills, and its dew was on the flowers. He had lived in Alabama only a few years, but he had so impressed him- self on the people, that various societies and the city herself, were mourners at his grave. Feeling the common bereavement, the Bar of Montgomery adopted these resolutions. There are objects, both in nature and in art, which always challenge and always defy accurate description. Often the colors and shapes of the even- ing clouds are so gorgeous, and beautiful, and evanescent, that neither the poet nor the painter can convey an adequate idea of their brilliancy and beauty. There are strains of exquisite music, which echo forever through the halls of Memory, but which language can neithe'r describe nor pre- serve. So there are characters so rich in fine qualities, and so rare in their combination of them, that words utterly fail successfully to portray them. Such a character is the very fragrance of the soul itself, which the spirit may perceive, but which the brain can not analyze and the lips can only praise. Of this class was the character of Joseph Winthrop Moses. He was so endowed by nature ; so adorned by art ; so affluent in all noble traits ; so devoid of the greed of pelf and place which disgraces the times, and so free from those little, paltry aims of life that wriggle over the soul, dis- figuring and minimizing it, that he seemed to belong to another sphere, and, by some mistake, to have strayed among mankind. This is not the exag- gerated eulogy of too partial friendship, I knew him long and I knew him well. He was born, reared and educated in the city of Charleston. There he was surrounded by the best influences of a community abounding in all the powers that can refine the heart, and brighten the intellect, and elevate the character, and develop manhood. He availed himself to the uttermost limit of these advantages of education and enlightenment. It is not strange then that he should have graduated at the college with honor, or that he should have acquired those habits and tastes by which he was subsequently distin- guished. As soon as his collegiate course was terminated, he entered as a law- student the office of Mr. Petigru. Stimulated by the example and precepts of that illustrious lawyer, wit and scholar, he continued the pursuit of all knowledges, professional, scientific, literary and artistic. He was early con- vinced that eminence as an advocate could only be obtained through the broadest culture ; for he had learned that, with a few notable exceptions, the most renowned lawyers, from Cicero to Legare, had been as remarkable for their literary and philosophical pursuits as .they were for their profes- sional attainments. Consequently, not content with the literature of our tongue, to-day unsurpassed in its riches, he became proficient in other lan- guages. He was not only master of English (in which he possessed critical skill), but he knew also Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin, and French, and German, and Italian and Spanish. In some of these he conversed with fluency, and he read and translated all of them without difficulty. He was so gifted that these acquirements were easily made. Indeed, so thorough was his mental discipline that no intellectual exercise required labor, or was ever irksome to him. _ His versatility was as uncommon as the ease with which he accomplished his appointed tasks. He could compose with equal facility verses to the belle of a ball-room, or a poem in commemoration of the Confederate dead ; a lecture on humor, or a funeral oration ; a discourse upon art, or a brief in a law-suit; a constitution and charter for a literary club, or resolutions cele- brating the virtues of a deceased patriot ; an editorial on party politics, or a JOSEPH WINTHROP MOSES. vii report on the educational system of the city; a criticism of an opera, or a disquisition upon the Jews, their history and influence upon mankind. And he had this happiness : Whatever he did, whether written or spoken, in " prose or numerous verse," was done so thoroughly, gracefully and well, that he seemed born to do that alone. We are not surprised, therefore, that on his admission to the bar Mr. Petigru should have said, he had one of the brightest intellects he had ever known. His moral traits were no less noteworthy than his intellectual capabilities. He was a Hebrew by blood and in religion, and was superbly proud of his race, and zealously and humbly devoted to his faith ; and yet he so practised all the virtues inculcated by Christ, that I may say of him as Pope said of Garth : ''The best good Christian he, although he knew it not." His spirit was unstained it was scarcely darkened by the shadows of earth. He was altogether exempt from vices. He was unselfish, and generous, and chari- table, and so benevolent that he felt like the old Koman, who believed God had u made man many that they might aid, one another." He had an exalted ideal of life, and sympathized with all that is good, and pure and grand in human thought, or noble and heroic in human conduct. He was sincere and earnest and strong in his convictions, but temperate in his expression of them. He was ardent and constant in his friendship, but he rarely exhibited his feelings. He was calm and self-poised in all circum- stances. The vicissitudes of the world affected him but slightly. He "Was just of the quiet kind, Whose natures seldom vary : Like streams that keep a summer mind, Snow-hid in January." He had self-control and amiability to an unusual degree. Tranquillity was his normal condition. Anger never disturbed his equanimity. Indignation sometimes burned along his veins when injustice was done the poor and ignorant, and humble, and defenseless ; or when an act of signal depravity or atrocity fell under his observation. No violent passions, or ungovernable or barbarous impulses, ever swerved him from the behavior of a being entirely civilized. He never knew the ferocity of hatred, or bore the burden of an nnforgiven grudge, or felt the sting of a regretted meanness. Fidelity to friends and to principles ; truth- fulness in all things; frankness in advising when his advice was sought; courage and an aversion from causeless conflict; prudence in speech and in action ; a faultless sense of justice ; manliness ; robust gentleness, and knightly courtesy, were a few of his characteristics. Time will not permit me to enumerate all the qualities that made his char- acter so perfect, and himself so well beloved. We could reckon all the days of his life, not by the revolutions of the seasons, or the course of the sun, but by the circle and zodiac of his virtues, which have made him immortal. And yet he was modest, unobtrusive and apparently unconscious of his mani- fold powers. For his excellences stood in him so silently they seemed to hav6 stolen upon him without his knowledge. Verily, he was a gentleman, " take him all in all," of so many and such rare perfections that Sidney or even Lee, would have loved to call him friend. And " In these ears till hearing dies One set slow bell will seem to toll, The passing of as sweet a soul As ever looked with human eyes." For gentle as he was, the only pain or sorrow he ever caused his kindred, of the world, was when he died. If it be true, as a wise Emperor has said, that "a man is worth just so much as those things are worth about which he busies himself;" if the pos- session of uncommon talents and great qualities entitle a person to be con- viii TRIBUTE OF RESPECT TO J. WIN. MOSES. sidered great, then our departed friend had surely a claim to such a rank ; but just as surely his humility would never have enforced it. It is fit that some record of the virtues of such a man should be kept and his memory saved from "the tooth of time and razure of oblivion." Therefore, I move that the resolutions may be spread on the minutes of the Court. The resolutions were then ordered by the Court to be spread upon its minutes. 
Moses, Joseph Winthrop (I2)
13 "Nathan was a Philadelphia Merchant" Levy, Nathan (I398)
14 "of Brightkaleraston, England" Myers, Michael of Brightkaleraston, England (I339)
15 "of Isleworth, England" Franks, Jacob (I473)
16 "of London" Levy, Isaac (I426)
17 "of New Orleans" Levy, Jacob of New Orleans (I326)
18 "of St. Eustatia", "a widow"
She may have been related to Jacob Robles, the last Hazan (circa 1789) of the Jewish congregation on St. Eustatius. 
(nee Robles), Hannah (I383)
19 "of Stamford, CT", "later a Newport Tory" Hart, Jacob of Stamford, Conn. (I408)
20 "Put out to board when her mother died in 1740." Levy, Miriam (I406)
21 "When her mother died in 1740 she went to live with her aunt and uncle Judah and Jochabed Mears." Levy, Hannah (I411)
22 "widow of James Steel Thompson" ======================================================== Philadelphia Will extracts: ========================================================
LEVY, MARTHA. City of Philadelphia. Widow of Samson Levy, late of sd. city. Merchant. 1801. April 1, 1807. 2.78. Legacies to nieces Abigail Israel and Margaret Ross. Daughters-in-law: Mary and Sarah Levy, a suit of mourning and mourning ring each. Legacies to sons Moses, Samson and Daniel Levy. To dau. Rachel Levy, granddau. Martha Levy Jones, dau. Arabella Jones, wife of James Morris Jones, granddau. Henrietta ---, plantation in Sussex Co., N. J. devised to her by her late husband. Former husband: Jas. Stell Thompson. Exec. and Trustees: Moses and Samson Levy. Witnesses: Jos. Reed, Benjn. F. Pearce. Codicil: January 16, 1806. Revokes some of legacies. Mentions rent charges payable out of a lot in Philadelphia purchased of Joseph Shippen.
(nee Lampley), Martha (I410)
23 (Medical):Fell down stairs accidentally. (nee De Leon), Agnes (I239)
24 (Medical):Stern shows death date as 29 Feb 1867 but 1867 was not a leap year. (nee Oppenheim), Martha (I273)
25 (Research):
"Sheila/Mark" < >
Subject: [LL] Jewish Connections: Samuel Hart
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:19:21 -0300
References: <>

Descendants of Jacob Hart

Generation No. 1
1. JACOB2 HART (MOSES1) died November 03, 1784. He married ESTHER LEVY,
daughter of MOSES LEVY and GRACE MEARS.
More About JACOB HART:
Event 1: Of Stamford, Conn.
Event 2: Tory, in Newport, R.I.

Children of JACOB HART and ESTHER LEVY are:
i. MOSES3 HART, b. May 03, 1748.
More About MOSES HART:
Occupation: Newport merchant
ii. SAMUEL HART, b. October 15, 1749, Newport, R.I..
Comment 1: Elected to the Nova Scotia Assembly in 1793, representing
Comment 2: Purchased the large estate, Maroon Hall, on the Dartmouth side of
Halifax Hbr.
Comment 3: First Jew anywhere in the British Empire to hold a seat in a

iii. MIRIAM HART, b. August 28, 1753; m. MONTAGUE BLACKWELL.
Comment 1: Lt. in the British Army

You shouldn't be surprised by all the Levy connections.
More to come,
Mark Levy  
Hart, Jacob of Stamford, Conn. (I408)
26 (Research):AJLLJ Portrait Database 5 Aug 2011

Jochabed was the third of five children born to Moses and Catherine Hachar Michaels, German Jews who had settled in New York in the first years of the 18th century. Her father became active in the West Indian trade, shipping merchandise between New York and Curacao.
     In the early 1730s she married merchant Judah Mears, a merchant also involved in Caribbean trade. The couple had seven children.
     We know that Jochabed was not particularly well-liked within New York's small 18th-century Jewish community. "There is something in Agitation with Mears and his mate," wrote Abigail Levy Franks, in one of her gossipy letter to her son Naphtali. "You certainly will be surprised to hear [of] my mother [Grace Mears Levy] and Josey [Jochabed Mears] friendship. The Latter lives in Huntington.  She came to town the week after her sister was marrid when my Mother went to See her And Saluted her with as much kind[ness] as the dearest friends could doe they was frequently together and I have of a night Seen 'em walk with Mears between that I have acutely blushed for it to think what has been Said amongst 'em tho' all this friendship is but Outwardly for I am told my Mother Spares Jose as Little as Ever if you Say anything to Uncle Nat[han Levy] abouth this desire him Not to write it back Again as from me tho' Tell him in Conformity I hope he will recant all the Cruell Things he has Said I think he Showed a Vast deall of Weekness If it be true as Mrs. Levey Tells me He has Sat Whole Eavenings as Is[aac] Levy's Railing at Josey.    
(nee Michaels), Jochabed (I372)
27 (Research):AJLLJ Portrait Database 5 Aug 2011
Born in London, Judah was the oldest of three children of German parents Sampson and Joy Tabitha Franks Mears. His father and his uncle Jacob developed an active stake in the Caribbean trade, shipping between Jamaica and London. Judah followed his father into business, selling North American produce to West Indian sugar planters.
     In 1718 Judah's sister Grace married New York shipping magnate and widower Moses Raphael Levy and returned with him to begin a life in the colonies. Mears' new brother-in-law was one of colonial America's most prosperous Jews, and some time after the wedding he joined his sister in New York. Mears formed a partnership with merchant Jacob Franks, who was married to Levy's daughter Abigail. Theirs proved a successful alliance, and Mears eventually acquired properties in Manhattan and Long Island.
     In the early 1730s Mears married Jochabed Michaels. Joachabed was the daughter of Moses and Catherine Michaels who, like the Mearses, were German Jews engaged in trade in the West Indies. Their first of seven children, Catherine, was born in 1735 or 36. A few later, on May 30, 1738, Mears became a freeman of New York. While this meant that he now enjoyed full economic and political rights, his new status also brought with it additional responsibilities. In 1741 Mears was elected constable of New York's East Ward, a position widely considered a burden, and one which those who could afford to generally opted out of with the payment of a fine. Mears, however, served his term as constable, during which service he fell victim to an attack by Oliver DeLancey. A wild and notorious figure from one of New York's most prominent Dutch Protestant families, DeLancey had recently wed, in a secret ceremony, Moses Levy's granddaughter, Phila Franks.
     Mears played an active role in congregation Shearith Israel, serving as parnas in 1741. He also survives in the synagogues records through a minor controversy from 1760, in which Mears entered the cramped women's section on Sabbath to reclaim a seat he believed to have been taken from his daughter. The infraction resulted in a 40 shilling fine "in order to prevent for the future any persons assuming to themselves the authority of determining the property of seats in the Sinagogue…"
     In 1762 he died while traveling in the Caribbean, most likely on business.        
Mears, Judah (I371)
28 (Research):AJLLJ Portrait Database  5 Aug 2011

The German-born Moses Levy— the name Raphael (God heals) was bestowed on him as he lay on his deathbed— moved with his brother Samuel to London as young men. In the late-eighteenth century they had made their way New York, although strong business and family connections to London were maintained, and Levy would return England on business.
     The brothers married a pair of sisters, the daughters of Asher Michalls de Paul, Moses marrying Rycha and his brother Rachel. Levy emerged as a very successful merchant in New York, involved in shipping and trade with Europe and the Caribbean. In 1695 he was made a freeman in New York. His attentions turned as well to the city's small Jewish community, and he served as parnas of Shearith Israel. He is also on record as having contributed to the fund to build a spire for Trinity Church.
     With Rycha he had five children, including daughter Bilhah Abigail. In 1716 Rycha died, and two years later he married Grace Mears in London. They would have another seven children together.         
Levy, Moses Raphael (I389)
29 (Research):AJLLJ Portraits Database 5 Aug 2011

Moses Raphael and Richea Asher Levy's eldest child, Bilhah Abigail Levy, provides one of the fullest, most dynamic pictures of a colonial Jewish woman. With her son Naphtali away in England, Abigail, as she was known, frequently wrote him, discussing matters political, social, familial, American and Jewish, and the numerous surviving letters from this correspondence of the 1730s and 40s, provide invaluable insights into colonial American Jewish life.
     Born in New York, a year after her father became a freeman, it was in this city that she would remain for her entire life, although after a painful incident later in life she would write of her desire to leave city behind. Abigail's parents provided her with a classical education, something evidenced by the references to mythology and classical learning we find peppering her letters, and by the strong literary engagement she maintained— an admirer of Fielding, Dryden, Montesquieu and, her favorite, Pope. When Abigail was in her teens, her parents took in a boarder recently arrived from London, Jacob Franks. At sixteen, in 1712, Abigail wed the young merchant.
     Together they had seven surviving children, who served as the primary focus of her attention. Abigail provided her children, including her daughters, with an education like that she had received. At the same time, it proved hugely important to her that her children maintain their Judaism. She prided herself on her observance of the Sabbath, frequent synagogue attendance and the strict levels of kashrut she maintained at home. She would send kosher meat to her son Naphtali in London, and even advised him against eating in her brother-in-law's house. Two of her children did not end up marrying Jews. And while there exist no letters dealing with her son David's marriage to a Christian, daughter Phila's intermarriage is one of the central dramas played out in her letters to Naphtali.
     When in 1743 it came to light that Phila had secretly wed Oliver DeLancey several months prior, her mother quit town and, avoiding even the Franks country home in Harlem, left for Flatbush. There she composed a pained letter to Naphtali, though so overcome with grief was she that she complained, "I can hardly hold my Pen whilst I am writing." She cried to her son in England, "My Spirits Was for Some time Soe Depresst that it was a pain to me to Speak or See Any one... I Shall Never have that Serenity nor Peace within I have Soe happily had hitherto. My house has bin my prisson Ever Since I had not heart Enough to Goe near the street door. It's a pain to me to think off goeing again to Town And If you Fathers business would Permit him to Live out of it I never would Goe Near it Again I wish it was in my Power to Leave this part of the world I would come away in the first man of war that went to London." Despite her daughter's, her family's and her friends' pleadings, Abigail never again spoke with Phila.
     In spite of her disapproval of her daughter's intermarriage and generally high levels of religious observance, Abigail seems to have had little patience with the small Jewish community of New York around congregation Shearith Israel. "And Indeed I don't offten See her," Abigail wrote to Naphtali, gossiping about a member of the community, "Nor any of our Ladys but at Synagogue for they are a Stupid Set of people." Yet she was very much at the center of this community, with both her father and husband having served as the parnas of Shearith Israel. Still, in her letters she continually picks on a certain Jewish provincialism. Writing to Naphtali concerning a book on Judaism she had just read, Abigail wrote, "Its Very Entertaining for me for I confess it to be agreeable to my Sentiments on our Religeon Whoever wrote it I am sure was noe Jew for he thought soo reasonable You will Say Perhaps I pay a Compliment in that Expression to myself but I must Own I can't help Condemning the Many Superstitions we are Clog'd with & heartly wish a Calvin or a Luther would rise amongst Us I Answer for my Self, I would be the first of there followers."
     Abigail died two decades before the Revolution and so did not live to see her children— Tories— fall into public disrepute and flee the new county for England. The letters of Abigail Franks provide us with a wealth of insights into life in colonial America and the early Jewish community in New York and display her wonderful personal complexities and contradictions. 
Levy, Bilhah Abigaill (I395)
30 (Research):AJLLJ Portraits Database 5 Aug 2011

Rebecca Phillips was born somewhere in the Caribbean, possibly aboard her father's cargo ship as it sailed for Saint Eustatius. The Phillips family— merchants and traders— maintained strong ties to New York, Newport, Jamaica, Curacao and Martinique. Her great-grandfather served as an early parnas of Shearith Israel. Her Father, the English-born Jacob Phillips, fought with the South Carolina militia during the Revolutionary War.
     At fifteen she married Polish emigrant Isaiah Moses. They lived in Charleston where he ran a store on King Street. As Isaiah grew increasingly successful, he was able, in 1813, to purchase a plantation— the Oaks— and to situate himself and Rebecca among the southern planter class.
     In what must have been an upsetting turn of events, after more than two decades, financial pressures forced Isaiah to sell his property. Rebecca, who had been mistress of the Oaks for so many years, was now listed in the city directory as running a dry goods store. 
(nee Phillips), Rebecca (I35)
31 (Research):AJLLJ Portraits Database 5 Aug 2011

This son of an English broker, Jacob Franks, came to New York around 1708 and was naturalized there in August of 1710. A merchant involved in shipping and wholesale, in 1712 Jacob carried out business with relatives in England, as part of a mercantile network that spanned the Atlantic, the Caribbean, Europe and beyond.
     In 1712 he married Bilhah Abigail Levy, daughter of fellow merchant Moses Raphael Levy.
     Franks was very active in New York's Jewish community, and was one of the four men who laid the cornerstone of Shearith Israel in 1729. The following year he served as the congregations parnas.
     Franks was never able to achieve the type of wealth he and his wife believed he should. Accusations were even leveled that this was because he had been taken advantage of by his English relatives with whom he did business. Writing to their eldest son, Naphtali, who had gone England to work in his uncle's firm, Abigail complained, "I think your Fathers Treatment from you & your Uncle Especially from the Latter is more Like a Slave than Freeman."
     As the Franks children became Tories, they almost all left the United States after the Revolution. 
Franks, Jacob (I396)
32 (Research):AJLLJ Portraits Database  5 Aug 2011

Born around 1725, Martha Lampley was the daughter of Nathaniel Lampley, Jr. and Abigail Paxson, Episcopalians from Philadelphia. She was already the widow of James Steel Thomson when she married Samson Levy in 1752. Samson was the son of Moses Raphael Levy and his second wife, Grace Mears Levy, and half-brother of Bilhah Abigail Levy Franks. Samson was a merchant and signed the Philadelphia Non-Importation Agreement in protest of the Stamp Act.
     Martha and Samson had five children who lived to adulthood, including Samson Levy, Jr. and Judge Moses Levy. Although the couple had their first son, Nathan, circumcised in New York by Jacob Moses, the rest of their children were raised Episcopalian, attending Saint Peter's Church in Philadelphia. They were members of the Dancing Assembly, Philadelphia society's preeminent club. Despite it all, Samson Levy was still referred to as a Jew. 
(nee Lampley), Martha (I410)
33 (Research):AJLLJ Portraits Database  5 Aug 2011

The first child from the union of New York Jewish patriarch Moses Raphael Levy and his second wife Grace Mears Levy, Rachel was born in London a year after her parents' wedding. The three of them soon crossed the Atlantic, and upon arrival in New York, mother and daughter met for the first time their new step children and half siblings, including Abigail Levy Franks. Though it proved difficult, sometimes futile, for Grace to win over these new relatives, Rachel was well loved throughout the family. 
     In 1740 she married a Portuguese-born merchant who had, after some time spent in Bordeaux and then England, recently made the journey to New York— Isaac Mendes Seixas. The marriage evidently caused something of an uproar among the Sephardi old guard of New York's Jewish community, who objected to Seixas' taking an Ashkenazi wife. Abigail Franks, tireless observer of her world, not to mention a relentless gossip, recorded that Seixas' uncle Rodrigo Pacheco was "displeased" by his nephew's marriage to a German Jew, and furthermore, "the Portugueze here where in A Violent Uproar abouth it for he Did not invite any of them to ye Wedding."
     It was not just the "mixed-marriage"— that transgression of contemporary ethnic and class barriers— that troubled some about the union. Abigail declared that Isaac had an "Untractable Dispossion." However, after visiting with the young couple for a week at their new home in New Jersey, where Isaac opened a "Small Country Store," Abigail characterized Isaac as "A person of his Temper Soe much Mended," and that "they Seem to be very happy in each other."
     They would have eight children, including Gershom Mendes Seixas. 
Levy, Rachel (I404)
34 (Research):AJLLJ Portraits Database   5 Aug 2011

The youngest child of Sampson and Joy Franks Mears, Grace was born in Spanish Town, Jamaica in 1694. Her family was part of the Atlantic community of Jewish merchants, moving freely through the Caribbean, North America and London.
     In 1718 she married widower Moses Levy in London. Levy, who had made his home in New York, already had four children from his first marriage. Grace moved with her husband to New York, and her relationship with her new stepchildren, especially daughter Bilhah Abigail Levy Franks, only two years her junior and who herself had just married a few years prior, was not without tensions.
     Together Grace and Moses had an additional seven children, and the family found itself at the center of the burgeoning Jewish community in New York. In 1728 her husband was seized with an illness. Several months later, two days after their youngest son, Joseph, was born, Moses died. During that same emotionally trying year, her brother, Judah, moved to New York.
     Though in his will Moses Levy had split his estate between Grace and his ten youngest children— the oldest two being already quite comfortable— she found it necessary to go into business to help support herself. Seven years later, at the age of thirty-nine, Grace remarried to widower David Hays. Her stepdaughter, Bilhah, the consummate gossip, with whom Grace had never had an easy relationship, had this to say on the subject: "I bleive you think wee have abounded in wonderful Marriages but Especialy david Hays and Mrs. Grace Levy Must be Something Surprising for my part I shall hereafter think nothing Imposiable."
     Ambassador Loeb who sponsored this site is a relative of Grace Mears Levy. 
Mears, Grace (I388)
35 (Research):He was Mayor of Girard? Moses, Isaac Isaiah (I190)
36 (Research):Not found in South Carolina Death Index 1815-1855 - Ancestry Phillips, Rachel (I112)
37 (Research):Not found in South Carolina Death Indexes 1815-1955 Ancestry
AJLLJ Portrait Database 5 Aug 2011
Born near Bremerhaven in the Kingdom of Hanover, Isaiah Moses moved first to England where he married and had four sons, and, upon his wife's death, to Charleston, arriving sometime before 1800. He came with his brother Levi and soon sent for his sons. Over the course of his first decade in America, he moved from grocer to shopkeeper to planter, acquiring a 794-acre plantation— the Oaks— in Goose Creek, South Carolina.
     In 1807 Moses, thirty-five, married Rebecca Phillips, aged fifteen. The couple had twelve children.
     Moses was very active with congregation Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim, where he proved very resistant to attempts at reform. Moses, an Ashkenazi, bitterly fought against attempts to move away from the Sephardi liturgy. When Moses and the other traditionalists lost the struggle, they broke away and formed a new synagogue, Shearit Israel.
     In 1840 a fire burned the main house at the Oaks. Having borrowed money from Beth Elohim a few years prior, this added setback forced Moses to sell the plantation. 
Moses, Isaiah (I24)
38 (Research):Not found in South Carolina Death Indexes 1815-1955 Ancestry Moses, Jacob Isaiah (I124)
39 (Research):Possibly other Samson Levy referenced at: 
Levy, Samson (I409)
40 (Research):Some say jacob was involved in the porcelin or "china" trade in the UK.  The following citation offers an explanation of confusion between two different Jacob Phillips:

Modern Christianity and Cultural Aspirations
by Clyde Binfield, D.W.Bebbington, Timothy Larsen
N.P., Continuum International Publishing Group, 2003, pg 51
ISBN: 0826462626


The Tate Gallery
"Mrs Phillips, Wife of the China Man, Oxford Street 1814"


by Judith Shanks

Biographical Notes on Rebecca Phillips Moses
Rebecca's birth was recorded by her father, Jacob Phillips: "My dear daughter Rebecca was born March 19, 1792." The words were written in Phillips's Haftarot, a collection of holy writings read in Jewish services. Jacob Phillips had emigrated from England to St. Eustatius as a youth, and then, in 1780, still young, to South Carolina, where he joined the militia to fight with the Patriots in the American Revolution.
Jacob Phillips traveled the Atlantic seaboard as a cargo merchant. His work took him as far north as Newport, Rhode Island, and down to New York, Charleston, and the West Indies. His wife, Hannah Isaacks--her family also in trade and shipping--lived in Newport until a business decline during the Revolutionary War prompted a family move to New York. Hannah's parents, Jacob and Rebecca Mears Isaacks, returned to Newport after the Revolution.
Hannah, Jacob, and their children lived at times in New York, Rhode Island, Saint Eustatius (in the West Indies), and South Carolina. Hannah sometimes traveled with Jacob to visit family along his route.
Because of this mobility, and because Jacob Phillips did not note the location of Rebecca's birth, we do not know where she was born. Family historians agree on the West Indies, but they disagree as to precisely where. One story puts Rebecca's birth at sea, a version of events picked up by Jewish genealogist Malcolm Stern. South Carolina historian James Hagy, in enumerating the origins of the Jews of South Carolina, reiterates this in his listing "born at sea," one person. 
Phillips, Jacob (I90)
41 Henry Alfred Loeb '29
Henry died Jan. 27, 1998. He prepared for college at Horace Mann School in NYC.
After Princeton he went to Harvard Law School and joined the New York and California bars. He practiced first with the firm of Cook, Nathan, and Lehman and then with Steinhart, Feigenbaum, & Goldberg in San Francisco. He returned to NYC in 1938 to begin his remarkable career in investments and philanthropy. After senior partnership in several of the family firms such as Loeb, Rhoades & Co., he became vice-chair of Loeb Partners.
Henry's remarkable philanthropic career included leadership of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, and he was a life trustee of the New School (which gave him an honorary law degree), president of the Mt. Sinai School of Nursing, and a board member of the National Urban League, the Institute for Research on Deafness, and many other charitable organizations. At the start of WWII, Henry volunteered in the Army and became a first lieutenant and tank officer, participating in the Omaha Beach landing. He received a Bronze Star and five battle stars. In 1934 Henry married Louise Steinhart. She survives, as do their two daughters, Jean Troubh and Betty Levin, seven grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren, and a sister, Margaret Kempner. The class extends sincere sympathy to Henry's family.
The Class of 1929

Henry A. Loeb Dies at 90; Philanthropist and Financier
Published: January 28, 1998
Henry A. Loeb, financier and philanthropist, died yesterday at his home on the Upper East Side. He was 90.
Mr. Loeb had been since its founding two decades ago the vice chairman of the Loeb Partners Corporation, a Manhattan-based investment firm whose president is Thomas L. Kempner .
At his death he was also a life trustee of the New School, an honorary trustee of the Mount Sinai Medical Center and board member at the Jacob and Valeria Langeloth Foundation.
The chief beneficiaries of his philanthropic largess were Mount Sinai, where he had been vice chairman, and the New School, where he had been chairman.
Mr. Loeb's firm, Loeb Partners, was founded after Loeb Rhoades, Hornblower & Company, another investment firm where he had been a senior partner, merged in 1979 with Shearson Hayden Stone to form Shearson Loeb Rhoades.
At the time of the merger, Mr. Loeb, his brother John Langeloth Loeb, his nephew Mr. Kempner and other relatives, left Loeb Rhoades, Hornblower to form Loeb Partners.
The original Loeb family firm was Carl M. Loeb & Company, which became Loeb, Rhoades & Company, which merged in 1978 with Hornblower, Weeks, Noyes & Trask to form Loeb Rhoades, Hornblower. Henry Loeb was a senior partner of both firms.
Henry Alfred Loeb was born in Manhattan, the youngest of the four children of of Carl M. Loeb, who was born in Frankfurt, Germany and lived for many years in Manhattan, and of the former Adeline Moses, who came from a distinguished Montgomery, Ala., family.
Carl M. Loeb, former president of the American Metal Company, was a co-founder with his son John Langeloth Loeb -- who died in 1996 -- and two others of Carl M. Loeb & Company.
Henry Loeb graduated from Horace Mann School, received a bachelor's degree in 1929 from Princeton University and a law degree in 1932 from Harvard and became a member of the New York and California Bars.
From 1932 to 1934 he was with the Manhattan-based law firm of Cook, Nathan & Lehman.
Then, after his marriage in 1934 to Louise Steinhart of San Francisco, he spent four years with her father's San Francisco-based law firm, Steinhart, Feigenbaum & Goldberg. In 1938 he returned to New York to become a senior partner in his own family's investment firm, which was then named Carl M. Loeb, Rhoades & Company.
After the United States entered World War II, Henry Loeb volunteered for the Army, although he had two children and was in his 30's. He began as a private and became a first lieutenant and a tank officer. He won the Bronze Star medal for his participation in the Omaha Beach landing on D-Day. He saw combat in France, Belgium and Germany, and his hearing became slightly impaired because of the noise during tank engagements in which he took part.
Mr. Loeb went on to direct the 1964-65 fund-raising campaign of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of New York, of which he was a trustee. He oversaw 15,000 volunteer workers seeking funds for the federation's affiliated hospitals, child care and family agencies, homes for the aged, camps and community centers. Over the years, he was also chairman of the American Council for Emigres in the Professions, an organization aiding people who left their native lands for political reasons, a director of the Narragansett Capital Corporation, the Deafness Research Foundation and Ramapo Anchorage Camp in Rhinebeck, N.Y.
The other honors he received included an honrary doctorate in law from the New School in 1980.
In addition to his wife of 63 years, the former Louise Steinhart, he is survived by two daughters, Jean Troubh and Betty Levin, both of Manhattan; seven grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; and a sister, Margaret Kempner of Purchase, N.Y. 
Loeb, Henry Alfred (I66)
42 New York Times
John L. Loeb Sr. Dies at 94; Investor and Philanthropist
Published: December 9, 1996
John Langeloth Loeb Sr., a leading member of the investment community who was long the head of the Wall Street firm of Loeb, Rhoades & Company, a predecessor of Shearson Lehman/American Express, died yesterday at his Upper East Side home in Manhattan. He was 94 and also had homes in Purchase, N.Y., and Lyford Cay, Nassau, the Bahamas.
Mr. Loeb died in his sleep about 6 A.M. and he had been going daily to his office in midtown Manhattan until about eight weeks ago, said his son John Langeloth Loeb Jr.
John Loeb Sr., a philanthropist who was active in political affairs as well as a pillar of Wall Street's Old Guard, was a founder with his father and two others of Carl M. Loeb & Company in 1931. That firm merged with Rhoades & Company in 1937 to form what became Loeb, Rhoades.
In 1984, after a succession of mergers in the intervening years, he was named an honorary chairman of the successor firm, Shearson Lehman/American Express, a subsidiary of the American Express Company.
Although he played no active role in Shearson, he continued to be involved for years in managing his family's investments and in numerous philanthropic activities, working regularly in his office in Manhattan.
At his death, he still controlled a boutique investment banking firm, the Loeb Partners Corporation. He was on the boards of Deltec, an investment banking firm, and of charitable and educational foundations. After his death, associates said his total contributions to cultural, educational and other nonprofit institutions over the years, including will bequests, totaled about $200 million.
His versatility and shrewdness, along with sizable amounts of capital, did much to nourish the success of Loeb, Rhoades. Among his talents, admirers said, was a fine sense of timing. He managed to complete the sale of Loeb, Rhoades's major holdings in Cuba, for example, the day before Fidel Castro came to power.
The tall, imposing, impeccably dressed Mr. Loeb was a partner in the firm from 1931 to 1955 and senior partner from 1955 to 1977. In the summer of 1977, having become chairman, Mr. Loeb resumed overall management responsibility at Loeb, Rhoades -- with the title of chief executive -- taking the place of Carl M. Mueller, who had succeeded him as the firm's top manager in 1973.
In 1978, Loeb, Rhoades merged with Hornblower, Weeks, Noyes & Trask to form Loeb Rhoades, Hornblower & Company, and Mr. Loeb became co-chairman of the combined firm's finance committee. In 1979, Loeb Rhoades, Hornblower, with severe back-office problems, merged with Shearson Hayden Stone to form Shearson Loeb Rhoades.
In 1981, Shearson Loeb Rhoades was acquired by the American Express Company, becoming Shearson/American Express. That firm in turn acquired Lehman Brothers, Kuhn Loeb, forming the American Express subsidiary, which no longer exists in that form.
Over the years, Loeb, Rhoades had remained to a considerable extent a family affair, with John Loeb's partners including his brother, Henry; his son, John Loeb Jr., and two nephews. Even in his 70's, Mr. Loeb remained the dominant personality inside the firm while exercising great influence on the outside as well. One widely quoted cartoon depicted him as telling his wife, ''No, I didn't have a hard time at the office, but everybody else at Loeb, Rhoades did.''
The upper reaches of the business world were Mr. Loeb's by birthright. He was born on Nov. 11, 1902, in St. Louis, the son of Carl Morris Loeb, an immigrant from Germany. Carl Loeb made a fortune early in life by gaining control of the American Metal Company and went on to become a co-founder with his son and two other partners of Loeb, Rhoades.
John Loeb's mother was the former Adeline Moses, an Alabama banker's daughter who traced her American lineage to pre-Revolutionary times. After briefly attending Dartmouth College, Mr. Loeb transferred to Harvard College and graduating from there in 1924. He worked for American Metal from 1924 to 1928, in its Pittsburgh and New York offices, and then was with Wertheim & Company in 1929 and 1930 before co-founding Loeb, Rhoades.
During part of World War II, from 1942 to 1944, he left Loeb, Rhoades to work for the Treasury and the Office of War Mobilization.
John Loeb's son and namesake was also interested in finance, and for a time John Loeb Sr. hoped John Loeb Jr. would also lead the firm. But the son's promotions generated controversy within the firm, and after serving as president from 1971 to 1973, he became a limited partner and then Ambassador to Denmark.
The elder John Loeb had a longstanding interest in politics. In 1964, he was an organizer of a blue-ribbon business group, the National Independent Committee for President Johnson and Senator Hubert H. Humphrey, who was Lyndon B. Johnson's running mate that year. In 1973, Mr. Loeb pleaded no contest in Federal court to three charges of having disguised campaign contributions to Senator Humphrey's 1972 Presidential primary campaign.
Pursuing their interest in public affairs, Mr. Loeb and his wife, the former Frances Lehman, entertained senators, mayors, governors and other political figures in their 14-room East Side home. They were also collectors of French Impressionist paintings, including canvases by Manet, Pissaro, Degas, Cezanne, and Renoir.
Mr. Loeb was long active, too, as a philanthropist. In one 15-year period, he gave about $5 million to Harvard, including the Frances L. Loeb Library, the Loeb Drama Center and a succession of annual Loeb fellowships. In 1981, he gave the university an additional $7.5 million.
Then, in 1955, he gave Harvard a gift estimated at $70.5 million, Joe Wrinn, a Harvard spokesman, said yesterday. Mr. Wrinn said that the gift was the largest Harvard had ever received from a living benefactor. Recipients of funds from the gift have included Harvard's Faculty of Arts and Sciences and School of Public Health. Harvard's president, Neil L. Rudenstine, said yesterday, ''John understood instinctively what the most important needs of a university were.''
Another major beneficiary of Mr. Loeb's largesse was New York University. After he gave $7 million to its Institute of Fine Arts, he declined an offer to rename the institute for him.
In his later years, Mr. Loeb became a friend of Mayor Teddy Kollek of Jerusalem and became deeply interested in Israel, where his philanthropic activities included the founding of a community center in East Jerusalem.
He was variously a director of Dome Petroleum, Allied Chemical, Seagram, General Instrument, Arlen Realty, the Empire Trust Company, the Rome Cable Company, the National Radiator Company and other companies; a governor of the New York Stock Exchange and a member of the advisory committee of the Bank of New York.
He was also the chairman and a trustee of the Institute of Fine Arts, a trustee of the Museum of Modern Art, chairman and chief executive of the Jacob and Valeria Langeloth Foundation, and a member of the Harvard Board of Overseers, the university's senior governing body.
He married Miss Lehman, the daughter of Arthur Lehman of the Lehman Brothers banking firm, in 1926. She was the granddaughter of Adolph Lewisohn, the banker and philanthropist, and niece of Herbert H. Lehman, who later became Governor of New York and a Senator.
Mrs. Loeb, New York City's Commissioner for the United Nations and the Consular Corps for 12 years in the 1960's and 70's, died last May.
In addition to his son, John Jr., of Purchase, Mr. Loeb is survived by another son, Arthur Lehman Loeb of Manhattan; three daughters, Ann Loeb Bronfman of Washington, who is Arthur's twin, Judith Loeb Chiara of Purchase and Deborah Loeb Brice of London; 14 grandchildren, including Edgar Bronfman Jr., the president of Seagram; a brother, Henry A., of Manhattan; and a sister, Margaret Loeb Kempner of Purchase, and numerous great-grandchildren.
December 12, 1996
Harvard Benefactor and Friend John Loeb Dies at 94
John Langeloth Loeb '24, LLD '71 (hon.), died on Sunday, Dec. 8, at age of 94. An investment banker and philanthropist, Loeb was one of Harvard's most loyal and active alumni.
"Harvard University has lost the friend of a lifetime," said President Neil L. Rudenstine. "John Loeb was a man who combined in rare measure deep humility and natural dignity. His achievements spanned our entire century and, to the very end, he was open to new ideas and experiences -- to new people and new reflections. He knew how to live, and he also understood how to bring life to a natural and harmonious close, with a constant grace and even solicitousness that touched all who were privileged to visit him in his final weeks."
Rudenstine continued: "John, together with his remarkable wife, Peter [Frances Lehman Loeb], believed, above all, in the power of education, and he will be remembered always for an unsurpassed generosity that gave strength and support in times of turmoil no less than in tranquillity. We have suffered a great loss, but how fortunate we have been to have lived, decade after decade, with his sustaining vision and his deep friendship."
Frances "Peter" Lehman Loeb, who actively shared her husband's devotion to furthering higher education, died on May 17 of this year.
Interest and involvement spanned the University
Loeb was deeply devoted to the University -- his interests spanned several of the Schools and he committed a significant portion of his long life to strengthening and preserving Harvard's academic reputation and quality.
An Overseer from 1962 to 1968, Loeb served on more than a dozen visiting committees. He later recalled, "Six of my most rewarding years were as Overseer." In addition to his participation in the governance of Harvard, Loeb was a fundraiser for many parts of the University. A member of the Committee on University Resources (COUR) since 1965, he was vice chair of The Program for Harvard College (1956-1960), general chair of the Graduate School of Design (GSD) Campaign (1965-1968), chair of To Finish A Job for Harvard (1971), executive committee member for The Harvard Campaign (1979-1984), honorary chair of the GSD Campaign (1984-1989), member of the COUR campaign executive committee, and honorary chair of The University Campaign, which officially began in 1994.
Over four decades Loeb funded many faculty positions, numerous scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students, and a variety of academic programs in different parts of Harvard, including the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS), the GSD, and the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), among others.
Cited as a "paragon among alumni -- able, thoughtful, generous, devoted -- a credit to both country and college," John Loeb was awarded an honorary doctor of laws (LL.D.) degree in 1971. At Commencement 1985, he was presented the Harvard Alumni Association Medal, the only University-wide award honoring extraordinary service to Harvard.
Seventeen Quincy Street was renamed the John Langeloth and Frances Lehman Loeb House in 1994 in honor of the couple's longtime service and devotion to the University. The former home of Harvard presidents Lowell, Conant, and Pusey, it now houses the offices of the Harvard Corporation and the Board of Overseers.
As an alumnus of the College, Loeb was always particularly interested in the FAS.
Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Jeremy R. Knowles, commented: "John Loeb said that he and Peter 'wanted to make a difference not only to a great University, but to our country.' And they did. As alumnus, Overseer, and friend, John saw further than most, he knew better what was important, and his generosity so often made it happen. He wore his wisdom lightly, he offered his understanding gently, and he improved Harvard with unmatched munificence and grace. John Loeb was a wonderful friend and guide: of individuals, and of the institutions that he loved."
Notable among his many gifts to the FAS are an endowed scholarship fund created in 1951, which has provided financial aid to more than 400 undergraduates, and an endowment fund to support associate professorships, established in 1981, which currently funds 15 junior faculty positions designed to enhance Harvard's ability to attract the best young scholars. A gift from the Loebs made possible the creation of the Loeb Drama Center, which houses the American Repertory Theatre.
Also, the Loebs were involved with initiatives and programs at Harvard's other Schools. They established a professorship at Harvard Medical School, and made significant gifts to Harvard Business School. Long involved at the GSD, Loeb in the 1960s served as general chair of the School's first campaign.
Responding to the loss, Dean of the Faculty of Design Peter G. Rowe said: "Without question, John Loeb, along with his late wife, Frances, was the School's most extraordinary benefactor. Their generous contributions have gone a long way toward securing the GSD's academic prominence well into the future. The Frances Loeb Library and the Loeb Fellowship Program are two significant components of the Design School's intellectual life; John's leadership and support over more than 30 years will enable both to continue to serve the ever-expanding needs of students and scholars of the design disciplines. John Loeb was above all a person who cared to make the world better."
William A. Doebele, curator of the Loeb Fellowship for 27 years, added: "John Loeb had a lifelong concern with the quality of the American environment. He endowed a unique fellowship program at the GSD and then took a personal interest in the careers of the Fellows. The Fellowship stands as a permanent and living memorial to his generosity and commitment to the GSD and to the nation."
Loeb's strong personal interest in health and nutrition focused his attention on the School of Public Health, where he served on the visiting committee from 1949 to 1954.
"The School of Public Health benefited immeasurably from John Loeb's contributions as an adviser and friend over the past half century," said Dean of the School of Public Health Harvey V. Fineberg. "His wise counsel, broad vision, and generous philanthropy were deeply appreciated by several deans and faculty members, and the School is today a stronger institution for his involvement. We deeply regret the death of an individual who so flawlessly embodied the virtues of leadership, beneficence, and friendship."
Generosity to Harvard
Frequent contributors to many cultural, medical, and educational institutions, the Loebs in 1994 decided to set aside a substantial portion of their estate in the form of a deferred gift to Harvard.
Their commitment, the largest Harvard has ever received from a living donor and, at that time, one of the 10 largest private gifts ever made to American higher education, was then estimated to have a present value of $70.5 million.
More than half of the deferred gift is designated for the FAS to provide financial aid for undergraduates, endow six Harvard College Professorships, and further underpin the endowment for associate professorships.
The GSD is to receive support for modernizing of the Frances Loeb Library and funding activities of the Loeb Fellowship Program for Advanced Environmental Studies. With its part of the gift, the School of Public Health will be able to add professorships and associate professorships.
Portions of the 1994 gift were also designated for undergraduate activities at the Loeb Drama Center and to establish a humanist chaplaincy at the Memorial Church.
"The Loebs' gift is extraordinary and of course we appreciate their generosity," said William H. Boardman Jr., director of capital giving. "But we loved John and Peter because they were warm, wonderful, intelligent people, full of curiosity and enthusiasm. I will always cherish their memory."
Banker, philanthropist
John Loeb was born in 1902 in St. Louis, Mo. In 1924, he earned his bachelor of science degree cum laude from Harvard and later, with his father, founded the New York banking and brokerage firm Carl M. Loeb and Company in 1931. The firm was subsequently known as Loeb, Rhoades and Company, and from 1955 to 1977 John Loeb served as its senior partner. He was widely regarded as a leader in the investment community.
For decades, the Loebs were a force in New York City. They were active in many charitable enterprises, served on the boards of schools, museums, and hospitals, and were also engaged in public affairs. The couple had a lifelong interest in the arts and were avid collectors of French Impressionist paintings.
John and Peter Loeb had two sons, John L. Loeb Jr. '52, MBA '54, and Arthur L. Loeb '54, AM '57, and three daughters, Judith Loeb Chiara, Ann Loeb Bronfman, and Deborah Loeb Brice. 
Loeb, John Langeloth Sr. (I65)
43 Paid Notice: Deaths

Published: December 4, 2001
LOEB-Louise Steinhart. Died on Saturday, December 1, 2001, at age 86. Widow of Henry A. Loeb (who died in 1998). Survived by her children Jean and Raymond Troubh and Betty and John Levin, her seven grandchildren, her 14 great-grandchildren. Interment is private. In lieu of flowers, contributions in her memory may be made to the Child Development Center of the Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services, 120 West 57 Street, New York, New York 10019, attn: Jane Berenbein; or to Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, attn: Alvin Teirstein, M.D., Director of Richenthal Institute.
LOEB-Louise Steinhardt. The Trustees, Faculty and Staff of Mount Sinai School of Medicine and The Mount Sinai Hospital mourn the passing of Louise Steinhardt Loeb, beloved wife of the late Henry A. Loeb, a prominent philanthropist, who served on the Mount Sinai Boards of Trustees with dedication and distinction for 45 years. Henry and Louise Loeb's commitment to Mount Sinai was memorable, and included important support of numerous programs in patient care, research and medical education. Mrs. Loeb will be remembered fondly, and with gratitude, for her loyalty and thoughtful generosity. We extend our heartfelt condolences to her daughters, Betty Levin, wife of our esteemed Trustee John A. Levin, and Jean Troubh, and the entire Loeb family. Stephen M. Peck, Chairman The Mount Sinai Medical Center Nathan Kase, Interim President and CEO, The Mount Sinai Medical Center and Interim Dean, Mount Sinai School of Medicine Barry R. Freedman, President and CEO, The Mount Sinai Hospital
LOEB-Louise S. The officers, Board of Directors, and staff of UJA-Federation of New York mourn the passing of Louise Loeb. A cherished friend and UJA-Federation leader, Mrs. Loeb served as a trustee and executive committee member of Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services, a UJA-Federation beneficiary. Her legacy lives on through the examplary activities of her daughters, Jean Troubh, who serves as JBFCS president-elect, and Betty Levin, who has served on the UJA-Federation Board of Directors. We extend our deepest sympathies to Jean and her husband, Raymond; Betty and her husband, John; her grandchildren and greatgrandchildren; and to the entire Loeb family. Larry Zicklin, President Morris W. Offit, Chair of the Board John S. Ruskay, Executive Vice President & CEO
LOEB-Louise S. New School University mourns the passing of Louise S. Loeb, a dear friend to the New School and beloved mother of Trustee Betty Levin. A steadfast champion for the rights of children, Louise was the wife of the late Henry A. Loeb, Trustee and former Chairman of the Board at New School University. The Loebs' extraordinary devotion to the New School is evinced by the Henry A. and Louise Loeb Residence Hall, the Henry A. and Louise Loeb Chair of Political and Social Science at the Graduate Faculty and the Henry A. and Louise Loeb Chair of Fine Arts at Parsons School of Design. Our thoughts are with all of Louise's cherished family and her many friends. Bob Kerrey, President John L. Tishman Chairman of the Board New School University
LOEB-Louise. The Board and Staff of the Center for Educational Innovation-Public Education Association (CEI-PEA) note with sorrow the death of Louise Loeb. She was a longtime Board Member & general supporter of the Public Education Association and was devoted to the public school children of New York City. We extend our condolences to her children Betty and John Levin and Raymond and Jean Troubh, and her grandson David Levin, Principal of Kipp Academy in the South Bronx, which the Center for Educational Innovation helped to establish.
LOEB-Louise. The Trustees and staff of The Jewish Museum mourn the loss of Louise Loeb, benefactor to the Museum and mother of our devoted Trustee Betty Levin, and Museum Council member Jean Troubh. Our thoughts are with them and their families and we send our heartfelt condolences. Robert J. Hurst, Chairman Joan Rosenbaum, Helen Goldsmith Menschel Dir
Correction: December 8, 2001, Saturday An obituary of the New York philanthropist Louise Steinhart Loeb on Tuesday misstated the given name of her late husband. He was Henry A. Loeb, not John.

December 5, 2001
LOEB-Louise Steinhardt. The Faculty and Staff of Vivian Richenthal Institute of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine are saddened by the passing of Louise Steinhardt Loeb, a generous supporter of medical research and health care. Louise Loeb was a thoughtful and compassionate benefactress who shared our commitment to improving the lives of those suffering from pulmonary disease, and she will be missed. We extend our condolences to her children, Betty Levin, wife of Mount Sinai Trustee John A. Levin, and Jean Loeb, and to the entire family. Alvin S. Teirstein, MD Dr. George Baehr Professor of Clinical Medicine Director, Vivian Richenthal Institute of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine 
Steinhardt, Louise (I88)
44 The London Independant, 11 July 2005

Linda Watson
The quintessential Lady who Lunched, Nan Kempner was one of the women who inspired Tom Wolfe's description 'social X-ray'. An English size eight, incredibly elegant and a party animal par excellence, Kempner personified the particular brand of wealthy Manhattan female who eats, sleeps and breathes fashion. She could chart her life by what she wore and when.
Kempner crossed continents like other people hail taxis. Her annual jaunts to London, Paris, Gstaad, Venice, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vail and Nassau invariably involved invitations to the inner sanctum of the socially significant and a contingent of the best couture labels " Yves Saint Laurent in Paris, Ungaro in Venice, Valentino in Gstaad.
She was born Nan Field Schlesinger in San Francisco in 1930. Her father, Albert (known as 'Speed'), owned one of California's largest Ford dealerships and her mother, Irma, whom Nan once described as 'an extraordinary fashion plate' instigated Nan's lifelong love of couture. It was her mother who first put Nan on a diet, aged 12.
After graduating from Hamlin School in San Francisco, Nan Schlesinger studied at Connecticut College for Women, but left before graduation. During a junior year abroad, in which she had studied at the Sorbonne, she decided to opt out after being told by artist Fernand Lger that she was 'a disgrace', had 'no talent' and should stop wasting her parents' money. She declared later, 'It wasn't exactly endearing, but it was true.'
After briefly working as a volunteer at the San Francisco Museum of Art, in 1952 she met and married the fabulously wealthy Thomas L. Kempner, chairman of the bankers Loeb Partners and grandson of Carl M. Loeb, the founder of the firm. Although her husband could keep Nan in the manner to which she was already accustomed (she sometimes referred to him as 'the Exchequer'), it didn't stop her working. In the 1960s she was special editor at Harper's Bazaar magazine. In the early 1970s she became a consultant for Tiffany and Company and in the 1980s she was a correspondent for French Vogue. By the late 1990s Nan Kempner had become an international representative for Christie's, the perfect position for someone with the biggest address book in the business.
In 2000 Nan Kempner published R.S.V.P.: menus for entertaining from people who really know how, with proceeds going to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. She caused controversy during the round of promotional interviews for the book, by claiming that 'I loathe fat people' although she later said, 'It was an unfortunate remark which I regret', and claimed to 'crave hot dogs and hamburgers and peanut butter sandwiches'. A passionate supporter of cancer research, she served on a number of charitable boards and benefit committees, and gave occasional lectures in couture at the prestigious Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
In contrast to the stereotypical front-row fixture, Kempner didn't take herself too seriously. She delighted in telling everyone that the name of her favourite dish, pet-de-nonne, a fritter-like Escoffier creation, meant 'nun's fart' in French. She once described wearing a designer dalmatian coat: 'Boy, did I look like a dog.' She was painted by Andy Warhol in the Seventies, and in his diary entry for 31 October 1977 Warhol recalled a New York magazine article which slated Kempner:
In it, Stevie called Nan Kempner a 'pisser', and Joe Armstrong, the editor, told me that she's already called up the magazine to ask 'What's a pisser?'
Kempner's 16-room New York apartment on Park Avenue was an oasis where guests were encouraged to curl up and sink into the sofas. Hamish Bowles, American Vogue's European Editor at Large, was a frequent visitor. 'She had a ravishing apartment which was also incredibly convivial and cosy,' he says:
Her library, in exotic citrus colours, was absolutely the essence of chic and style. I would put her on a par with those legendary ladies " the ultimate life-enhancers like Babe Paley and C.Z. Guest.
Kempner was one of the diminishing fashion breed otherwise known as the Couture Customer. She was a devotee of Yves Saint Laurent ('I'm probably his oldest living client, When we were young, we were shaped the same: long and skinny') and attended nearly every one of his couture shows from 1962. According to Anna Harvey, the Editorial Director of Cond Nast New Markets,
She was unmistakable. So chic and slender. In fact, she was one of the very few who could fit into the samples. Ultimately, Nan Kempner managed to do what a lot of older women can't, which is to wear contemporary clothes with elegance and dignity. She never looked absurd " ever.
And groomed? 'Polished I think is the word.' Pause. 'Very polished.'
An unstoppable figure who once attended the couture shows sporting a cleverly disguised black eye and bruised knees (the Manolos had a tussle with the pavement), Kempner knew how to live. Bowles spotted her recently at Swifty's " a Truman Capote-esque eaterie on the Upper East Side:
Nan was wearing this incredible Lacroix black-and-white striped couture jacket with black pants " a kind of homage to Toulouse- Lautrec. So chic. It was only later that I realised she was trundling along with her oxygen machine.
Despite her lifelong obsession with fashion, Nan Kempner was adamant the final decision would be left to the Almighty. 'I tell people all the time I want to be buried naked,' she once told The New York Times. 'I know there will be a store where I'm going.'
Nan Field Schlesinger, fashion correspondent: born San Francisco 24 July 1930; married 1952 Thomas Kempner (two sons, one daughter); died New York 3 July 2005.
Copyright 2005 Independent Newspapers UK Limited
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.
From: Marie Claire Magazine
Before Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie made careers out of being famous, It girls were society women who knew how to dress, who to marry and where to be seen. And no-one filled the brief better than this slim San Franciscan.
By Kerry McCarthy
It's 1958, at the height of the Paris couture season, and all the most exclusive fashion houses are holding their invitation-only showings. At one such session, a slim, beautifully groomed American woman sits expectantly beside her mother, savouring the excitement of the Paris shows. Watching the models glide by, she is held spellbound by a white satin sheath dress and matching mink-trimmed coat.
"How much is that? " she asks the show assistants. When she hears the exorbitant price, she loses her perfect poise and practised cool - and bursts into tears. Whether it is an orchestrated ploy or a spontaneous outburst of genuine emotion, it works a treat. For the young woman not only gets the outfit at a discount, but also the promise of an audience with its designer, who's intrigued to meet the guest who couldn't bear to leave town without his creation.
The clothes encounter that followed was to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. The designer turned out to be up-and-coming talent Yves Saint Laurent, who was showing his first collection for the house of Dior. And the charismatic young woman was Nan Kempner, society maven and one of the world's largest collectors of haute couture.
Yves Saint Laurent would remain a particular favourite of hers and, from the time the designer opened his own house in 1961, she would miss only one of his shows in 40 years, amassing some 250 of his creations throughout her life.
The woman who claimed to have "come from a long line of clothes horses" made a habit of snapping up couture samples made for whippet-thin models at a fraction of the sales price. Her 175-centimetre frame, which never weighed more than 50 kilograms despite her avowed love of junk food, allowed Kempner to indulge her love affair with fashion - and, indeed, she was adored by designers. "Nan always looks so wonderful in my clothes, " gushed couturier Valentino, "because she has a body like a hanger. "
Dismissing the rumours of eating disorders that dogged her, Kempner insisted that her metabolism was "a miracle of nature" and boasted of starting each day with chunky peanut butter smeared on an English muffin.
It was the combination of her slender figure and society lifestyle that earned Kempner the dubious accolade of being the inspiration for the term "social X-ray", made famous by Tom Wolfe in his novel The Bonfire Of The Vanities. If she was bothered by the label - which would become synonymous with a certain type of rich and thin woman from New York's exclusive Upper East Side milieu - Kempner never let it show. Rather, she embraced the paparazzi flash with unashamed delight and never apologised for her ambition to be famous for being fabulous.
Always outspoken, she gained notoriety for such comments as "I loathe fat people" and "There is really no excuse for anyone to be ugly". But these bon mots were just as often aimed at herself and, together with a sharp sense of humour, kindness and loyalty to her friends, it was Kempner's self-deprecating nature that endeared her to many.
The first to admit her shallow side, she once joked, when talking of her attendance at former US president Ronald Reagan's funeral, "You know me - I wouldn't miss the opening of a door. " Designer Carolina Herrera remembered a conversation over lunch one day when Kempner committed a form of social suicide by admitting she'd be hurt if she didn't receive an invite to a party. "We were all saying that it doesn't matter, that it's one less party to go to, " recalls Herrera, "then Nan said, 'If you didn't invite me, I'd feel like crying. ' I thought that was very sweet of her... to tell the truth. " It was, perhaps, a more vulnerable side of the society queen.
Born Nan Field Schlesinger in San Francisco on July 24, 1930, she was the only child of prosperous Jewish parents Irma and Albert "Speed" Schlesinger. When she was little, her father, a wealthy entrepreneur who ran one of the largest Ford dealerships in the US, advised his daughter that as she'd never make it on her face, she'd better be interesting instead. The young Nan took his advice, cultivating her personality and always surrounding herself with fascinating people.
Though she enjoyed a close relationship with her father, it was from her mother that she learnt about the importance of style. Irma dressed her daughter in couture from childhood and taught her what to wear and how to wear it. "My mother always told me, 'Put it all on and then take half of it off, '" she recalled. Her grandmother was also mad about fashion, wearing "silk jackets to bed, with sheets to match". The young girl took it all in. Even when she was picked up prematurely from summer camp one time, after a brush with poison ivy, she still observed the relevant fashion details. "I was sick, but not too sick to notice my mother and grandmother had coats whose lining was the same as the dress. "
Put on her first diet by her mother when she was a chubby 12-year-old, she would later recall flicking through recipe books, ogling food denied to her, all the while eating sandwiches made with lettuce leaves instead of bread. At 14 she took up smoking, a habit that led to her trademark gravelly voice.
After attending the Connecticut College for Women, the budding socialite spent a year at the Sorbonne in Paris. Returning to the US, she moved to New York, where she met wealthy investment banker Thomas Lenox Kempner. It wasn't exactly love at first sight. "He looked at me and said, 'Your skirt's too tight, '" she later recounted. "It was Dior. I was filled with dislike for the man, but dislike grew into great, passionate, sexy love. "
After their wedding on March 1, 1952, for which she designed her own dress, Nan and "Tommy Kempner", as she always referred to her husband, left for an extended honeymoon in Europe. They spent a year in London before his family business commitments brought them back to New York.
The new Mrs Kempner fast became a Manhattan social legend, her attendance at any event guaranteeing its success. Having three children in quick succession did little to curb her ways - she managed to play the part of devoted housewife and perfect mother while remaining the outspoken, fun-loving party girl she had always been.
Kempner's large circle of friends were her biggest fans, including best pal Pat Buckley, who told Vanity Fair magazine that one of the things she liked most about Kempner was that she was "utterly, totally, deliciously politically incorrect". Diana Vreeland described her as the only chic American woman; Yves Saint Laurent called her "la plus chic du monde".
Ever the style icon, in the 1960s she famously wore a pants-suit to a posh restaurant where women were forbidden from wearing such garb. Stopped at the entrance, she calmly took off her trousers, handed them to her husband and strolled past the madame of the restaurant, saying, "I hope you like this better. " She sat down to dinner wearing the tunic top of her suit as a dress, covering her lap with lots of napkins and not daring to bend over. Even as late as a few years ago, when Kempner fell over and broke her hip, the cause was a pair of rare Galliano heels.
As well as being a professional party-goer, Kempner dabbled in work, putting her impeccable taste to good use. While her children were little, she became a special editor of Harper's Bazaar, then a design consultant for Tiffany & Co and, later, a contributor to French Vogue. In her 70s, she wrote her first and only book, RSVP: Menus For Entertaining From People Who Really Know How. All proceeds from its sales went to a cancer centre for which she and Pat Buckley raised $US75 million over 30 years.
Charity work aside, Kempner enjoyed getting out and about - and all the better if photographers were present. She found media attention "ego-boosting" and said, with typical honesty, "It's fun to be talked about. I've hardly done anything extraordinary - I haven't discovered the moon or a new drug. Never has anyone done so much with so little. "
Kempner loved to entertain, at home as much as in public. Even if the event she was hosting was informal, it was always done with great style. Invitations to her "casual" Sunday spaghetti dinners were coveted by an array of US and international guests, with everyone from Betsy Bloomingdale to Princess Diana gracing her 16-room Park Avenue apartment.
Aperipatetic life of parties and holidays around the world resulted in Kempner spending a good deal of time away from her husband, whose business generally kept him in New York. For years, stories of their marriage being a cover for separate lives rippled among the society set. The rumours came to a head in 1988, when the New York Post announced that the pair had decided on a trial separation after 37 years of marriage. Iris Sawyer, the brunette ex-wife of a political consultant, told a newspaper columnist that her seven-year affair with Tommy Kempner was the reason.
His wife had been aware of Tommy's dalliances - and had possibly even had the odd one herself - but the exposure embarrassed and enraged her. When asked about the episode, she later remarked, "[It was] the only one that really killed me... that disgusting woman. I said, 'Out of here - I don't want you if that's your taste. Yuk! ' I got him to see a shrink. He's much warmer than he used to be. "
Soon reunited, the married couple stayed together until her death. Kempner's relationship with her children remained out of the spotlight, though she did like to tell the story of how she'd turned their bedrooms into wardrobes after they left home. Both sons, Thomas Junior and James, attended Yale and married "well", while daughter Lina became an artist, living in Manhattan's East Village. "My daughter wears the same pair of jeans day in, day out, and the more paint she has on her shirt, the better she likes it, " Kempner once said.
The good life was finally to catch up with the party princess of Park Avenue when she was struck down with emphysema in her early 60s. Though she gave up smoking and cut down on travelling, Kempner still flew to big events and retained her good humour, naming her oxygen tank - "my air" - her new essential accessory for every season.
Elegant to the end, a very ill Kempner was spotted by fashion commentator Hamish Bowles lunching at one of her favourite Upper East Side haunts, wearing a stylish black and white striped Lacroix couture jacket with black pants - "A kind of homage to Toulouse-Lautrec, " recalls Bowles. "So chic. It was only later that I realised she was trundling along with her oxygen machine. "
The woman who once said she wanted to be buried naked - "There'll be a store where I'm going" - died on July 3, 2005, just three weeks before her 75th birthday. The party may be over for Nan Kempner, but it's one that everyone probably wishes they'd been invited to. 
(nee Schlesinger), Nan Field (I78)
45 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Chiara, Charles Arthur (I153)
46 Adeline is shown as Adolf Brady's wife in the 1850, 70, and 80 census.  The 1860 census lists him with a Matilda (age 35, b. South Carolina) in the second house slot (could be wife, sister, cousin, etc.)  Since the 1860 census shows many of Adeline's children we assume that the census taker got wrong information on her name. (nee Moses), Adeline (I201)
47 Commander of Battleship Texas, USN Moses, Captain Stanford Ellwood U. S. N. (I225)
48 Contact Edgar Jr.'s sec'y Frankie 212 275 3355 for  update of Ann's descendants

Published in The New York Times on April 10, 2011

BRONFMAN--Ann L., Philanthropist and beloved mother, grandmother and great-grandmother passed away at age 78 on April 5, 2011 in Washington, DC surrounded by her five children. Mrs. Bronfman, the daughter of John L. Loeb, Sr. and Frances Lehman Loeb, was born on September 19, 1932 in New York City. Her father was a leading member of the investment community who served as the head of the Wall Street firm of Loeb, Rhoades & Company, a predecessor of Shearson Lehman/American Express. Her mother, the daughter of Arthur Lehman of the Lehman Brothers banking firm, was New York City's Commissioner for the United Nations and the Consular Corps for 12 years in the 1960's and 1970's. Mrs. Bronfman devoted her life to numerous philanthropic efforts, including funding and directing programs through the Ann L. Bronfman Foundation, which she founded and ran. She supported a range of causes, from education to senior citizens to underserved youth to victims of domestic abuse to the arts, among others. Mrs. Bronfman served as a Trustee of Rosemary Hall and was presented with the school's Alumnae Award in 1999 for "demonstrating outstanding achievement in her given field of endeavor." She was the benefactor of the Ann Loeb Bronfman Gallery at the Washington, DC Jewish Community Center. The gallery offers exhibitions and programs that enhance Jewish identity, examine issues of social importance and develop community. In 2010, Mrs. Bronfman was honored by the Teamwork Foundation for her many years of support. The Bronx, NY based organization, which includes the world famous New York Gauchos basketball program, provides after-school and summer programs to inner city boys and girls. "Ann Loeb Bronfman is living proof that greatness is not inherited; it is achieved," wrote "JCA Today," a publication of the Jewish Council for the Aging, in 2006. "By refusing to rest on others" laurels, Ann has literally changed the world, adding compassion to an otherwise uncaring place. Her singleness of purpose and generosity of spirit teach us all that we, too, possess the power to change the world if we, like Ann, listen to our hearts." Mrs. Bronfman graduated from the Rosemary Hall school, then of Greenwich, CT, in 1950 and attended Bennington College in Bennington, VT before marrying her husband, Edgar M. Bronfman, in 1953. Mr. and Mrs. Bronfman were divorced in 1973. Mrs. Bronfman divided her time between her homes in Washington, DC and Mackinac Island, MI. She was an avid sailor and spent many happy times on her boat. In addition to her five children, Sam Bronfman of Atherton, CA, Edgar Bronfman, Jr. of Manhattan, Holly Bronfman Lev of Charlottesville, VA, Matthew Bronfman of Westchester, NY and Adam Bronfman of Park City, UT, Mrs. Bronfman is survived by 25 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; a sister, Deborah Brice of London, England; and two brothers, the Honorable John L. Loeb, Jr. and Mrs. Bronfman's twin, Arthur Lehman Loeb, both of Manhattan. 
Loeb, Ann Margaret (I133)
49 Corrections to Aaron Lazarus family (Stern p. 311) change Angelina Lazarus' name to Angelina Green Lazarus.

Angelina's brother Gerhson changed his name from Lazarus to Larenson.  No evidence but speculation that Angelina may have dropped the Lazarus as well and became known as Anna Green prior to her marriage.

In 1843, Mrs. Anna Green Moses has a letter waiting for her at the Charleston post office.
Age of wife A.G. Moses (40) in 1850 is consistent with birthdate for Angelina Green Lazarus.

1850 Census, Charles is married to A.G. Moses, age 40, with children Clifton (14), A.M. (11), M.A. (9), E.M. (7), A.E. (5), A.C. (3) and C.B. (1)

1860 Census: Anna G Moses is in Columbus Georgia with children Clifton, Almeria, Eliza, Mary Alice and Anna.

1870 - There is an Anna G Moses (age 60) living with Isaac C.(?) Moses, possibly her brother-in-law.  She is listed as a widow with property of her own. Her daughter Addie is also in the household.

1880 - Anna G. Moses living in Mobile with Adeline C., who could be her daughter Addie.  Alson in the household is Clifton H. Levy (possibly Clifton Harrby Levy, who is Anna G's grandson) 
Moses, Charles Brown (I240)
50 David fought in the colonial cause in the Revolutionary war (James A. Roberts, "New York in the Revolution"; "Officers and Men of New Jewsey in the Revolutionary War"). Nothing is known of his descendants.

Source: Jewish Encyclopaedia 
Hays, David (I391)

      1 2 Next»